Ma'avarim (מעברים - passageways, crossings or transitions in Hebrew) is a trans led NGO by and for the trans community. We are the largest trans knowledge center in Israel. We believe that knowledge is power, and that the knowledge about trans people exists within the trans community itself.
Our mission: To empower the trans community with knowledge and partnerships
* We serve the entire trans spectrum, gender variant people and those questioning of all ages, but also families, loved ones, and service providers who are assisting trans people and gender variant youth.
* We strive to provide the most reliable and updated information not only for the trans community, but also to public service providers, and to policy makers on issues most important to the trans community, including access to health, housing, education, violence prevention, suicide prevention, gender marker issues, and national insurance.
According to studies, it is estimated that the trans population consists 50,000-150,000 people in Israel, many are in the closet. While Israel boasts itself as the most LGBT friendly in the middle east, the reality of trans people in Israel is similar to that of the gay community 30 years ago: trans people are still ridiculed in the media, discriminated against, not protected by the law, cast out by their communities and families, and many are marginalized towards poverty. At high risk are trans sexworkers, youth, and those from highly conservitive backgrounds.
Our Core Programs:
* Rights center, information and referral service: We serve over 100 people a month, and hundreds more who use our website, webapp of service provider directory, social media platform for communal consultation and information sharing.
* Training program: We train employers and service providers, including educators, police, and healthcare providers on gender competence and diversity in order to provide trans friendly environment or service, through workshops, lectures, and courses led by trans people.
* Policy Change: We bring voices from the trans community to decision makers on issues affecting us community, in order to make sure that no policy about us, is written without us.
* Academic Scholarship Program: We provide academic scholarships to outstanding trans students of low income background who, in turn, volunteer for trans community.
Some of our recent accomplishments:
As an organization we managed to create strong connections with various agents of change, members of parliament and high ranking decision makers, in order to change a dozen policies for the benefit of the trans community. We have mobilized 7,000 people after the stabbing of a trans women in sexwork, and organized demonstrations after a trans student was beat up by her peers. Over 3000 service providers have participated in our trainings. We have organized a number of one days seminars, and organized a three day trans health conference, together with the LGBT center, and Israel's biggest HMO. These past few months we managed to amend the policy regarding the Gender Marker, and avoid the publishing of a harmful policy of Mental Health.
U.S. tax deductible contributions of at least $25 may be sent (and must be made payable) to P.E.F. Israel Endowment Funds, Inc., 630 Third Ave, Ste 1501, New York, NY 10017 with a recommendation that it be used for "Ma'avarim - Israeli Trans Community - Amuta 580525434"
Please wait for your donation to be processed...